ARTELABS reccomend the use of WordPress basically for its “Back-Office” CMS functionalities which are elegant, well structured, highly customizable and User-Friendly. It can be used for Blogs, business Websites, and even E-commerce.
The WordPress project, begun in 2003, has grown to be one of the largest hosted Web tools in the world. WordPress has become a mature and stable product that benefits from a substantial developer community. It is an excellent semantic publishing platform tool, combining aesthetics, web standards, and usability. WP is an Open Software delivered under GPLv2+.
For Users not knowing web coding and wishing to remain independent in managing dynamic content, WP can be one solution to have a good result at a reasonable price (compared to custom Web development). Nevertheless, a good Front-End development “à la carte” may require intensive work and good knowledge in programming languages such as PHP / JS / MySQL.
The WP community constantly builds the core software. Many themes and plugins are available online. Nevertheless, like any other Websites, maintenance and monitoring of the software is required to perform regular updates (including security patches).
The WorPress community organise regular WordCamps with well known guests:
INTRODUCTION (IMPORTANT NOTICE)
The Webmaster should have a thorough knowledge of WordPress technologies in order to avoid the use of inadequate plugin (“widget”), loss of information during the frequent software core updates (patches and security issues) and server compatibility of PHP / MySQL technologies.
Although the WP CMS seems easy to implement, a successful and clean website created with WP must match to Web Standards (W3C) and do not contain major errors which can only be detectable by analyzing the source code. The knowledge of programming languages are necessary in order to quickly debug or customise scripts that are not always “clean” in their design. Many Widget offered by the WP community are simply “Gadgets“!
We prevent and avoid developing “web-factories” full of mismatches!
ADVANTAGES USING WORDPRESS
- Open-Source Free software and Multi-Platform.
- Community developers assure better innovation and higher security, making it susceptible to bugs than proprietary systems.
- Universal access. Users are not locked in to using a single vendor’s system.
- Developers can modify and adapt the software for their own business requirements.
DISADVANTAGES USING WORDPRESS
- Because there is no requirement to create a commercial product that will sell and generate money, Plugins (“Widgets”) and Themes can tend to evolve more in line with developers that wish to advertise their work.
- Some “plugins” may have Embedded-ADS, about the developer or other products, or even tracking scripts for statistical purposes.
- No guarantee of sustainability of the available Plugins. Some may contain critical vulnerabilities related to security, bugs or malfunctions.
- Although WordPress software is itself mostly free, there may still be some indirect costs involved, such as need for external support.
- Although having an open system means there are many people identifying bugs and fixing them, it also means malicious users can potentially view the code and exploit vulnerabilities.
- Because of the way it has been developed, Open-Source software can require more technical know-how than commercial proprietary systems.